Your Board of Directors for 2014 has been the best I have had the honor of working with. 2014 has been a very successful year. Some of the highlights:
• We have seen an increase in Certified Healthcare Engineers (CHE) from 32 in 2012 to 46 for 2014 which is a very sizable increase. We would love to see that number continue to grow in the coming year!
• Our membership has increased by 21 active members this year thanks to the efforts of our state membership chair Lily Salkoff-Piner, and our membership committees within the districts.
• FHEA renewed its sponsorship of the Science Screen Report video series which focuses on STEM education and is offered to all of Florida’s public middle and high schools. We are proud of our commitment to improving education for the next generation.
• We have implemented a new $2500 scholarship on the state level for which any FHEA active member, member’s family or individuals at their member facility is eligible. This scholarship is open to persons planning on entering the healthcare engineering field. The application is posted on FHEA.org under the “Forms” header. If you know someone who might be a candidate, please be sure to let them know how to take advantage of this opportunity.
• Financially the organization is very sound and we continue to have near record proceeds from the annual trade shows thanks to our executive director Alethea Vitray.
• Our Codes and Standards chairman John Willingham and Bobby Baird have done an outstanding job advocating for changes in the AHCA/CMS ruling on Relocateable Power Taps in patient care areas. A CMS categorical waiver is now available. You can find a link on the home page of FHEA.org.
• I just received the evaluations from the 52nd annual Trade Show and meeting and once again the comments indicated a very successful show! All the speakers scored quite high––with George Mills knocking it out of the park. Mark your calendars for the annual AHCA/FHEA joint conference & trade show October 12–14, 2015 when we return to the Rosen Shingle Creek Resort. Our goal is to bring you the best program possible; if you have suggestions for speakers for either our spring or fall meetings, do let us know.
I am very excited about the upcoming 31st Spring Meeting which will be held May 14-15, 2015 at the Fort Lauderdale Marriott Coral Springs Hotel Golf Club & Convention Center. We have secured Leo Gehring to provide a seven hour CHFM prep course on Thursday, May 14th as part of the meeting. This workshop will be free to FHEA members; please keep in mind that in order to take the test and become certified, you must be an ASHE member. ASHE will make available a limited number of CHFM exam waivers on a first come basis to registrants––have your ASHE membership number ready to apply for this waiver. We will also have the golf outing on May 14th, and our educational session the following day, Friday, May 15th. I look forward to seeing you there.
Next year Norm Epps will be taking over the gavel as State President; he has proven to be a great leader this year, serving both as the District 4 President and State Vice President. He will do a great job as president and I look forward to his leadership. In closing I want to reiterate how much I have enjoyed the past year. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, and a safe New Year as we look forward to 2015. Cheers!
Scott McCormick, CHE, CHFM, CHSP
FHEA State President